Tuesday, April 3, 2012

DAY BY DAY

Karolina Sandell-Berg

THE HISTORY BEHIND THE SONG

This is a Scandinavian hymn, written by the "Fanny Crosby of Sweden," Karolina W. Sandell-Berg.

Lina was born is Frvderyd on October 3, 1832, the daughter of Jonas Sandell, pastor of the village's Lutheran church. Though frail in body, she had a strong spirit, feasting on the artistic, literary, and religious influences of her home life.

But tragedy struck when she was twenty-six. Lina and her father were enjoying a boat trip on the east coast of Sweden near Gothenburg when the ship suddenly lurched. Before her eyes, Rev. Sandell pitched overboard and drowned. Returning home alone, Lina began processing her grief through the Scriptures and expressing her faith in poetry. . .

Seven years later, her best-known hymn, "Day by Day" was published. In it, Lina spoke from personal experience about the daily strength the Lord provides for His struggling children. . .





1. Day by day, and with each passing moment,
Strength I find, to meet my trials here;
Trusting in my Father’s wise bestowment,
I’ve no cause for worry or for fear.
He Whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best—
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

2. Every day, the Lord Himself is near me
With a special mercy for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear, and cheer me,
He Whose Name is Counselor and Pow’r.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
“As thy days, thy strength shall be in measure,”
This the pledge to me He made.

3. Help me then in every tribulation
So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faith’s sweet consolation
Offered me within Thy holy Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E’er to take, as from a father’s hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till I reach the promised land.


No comments:

Post a Comment